Saturday, February 7, 2015

This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E Smith

   My friend and I are trying to not say the word "like" in unnecessary places and I think we are failing... you have no idea how hard it is for me to stop. That word is on the tip of my tongue and I have to swallow it back every time I'm about to say it. Any of you guys trying something new?:)
   As promised, I'm back with a book review!!! So I've read this book a while ago around the time it first came out, and I've decided to reread it this weekend! I'm still reading it, but I'm close to being done. The reason for rereading this book- besides the fact that it's amazing- is because I wanted something cute and happy to read. Have any of you ever had a moment where you just keep thinking about this one book and this one scene in that book for like a few days and you can't stop thinking about it? Well, that's what happened to me. I kept thinking about the cover and- not wanting to spoil anything- that one (happy) scene before heading north. I kept thinking about it and envisioning it in my head until I thought man, I have to read this book again. And I did. THEN, I looked at Jennifer E Smith's twitter and noticed a book that I haven't read yet (Hello, Goodbye, And Everything In Between)! So that might be my next book;)
   What does happy look like? I think happy looks like walks in the park- or on the beach. Warm breezes on a sunny day. Smiles, laughs. Snuggling up with a book. Rain. Music. Fireplaces. Movies. Flowers and summer and ice cream. Winter when it's snowing. Fall right when the leaves are changing. Spring when the suns out. Happy looks like books. It looks like ice skating. Sunrises. My dog. Or the stars outside on a clear night. The moon when its big and orange. What does happy look like to you???
   When I bought this book and read it, I thought that this is the perfect summer book. Well... it takes place in the summer... but still, it's calm and cute with a pinch of funny and suspense. I really liked the beginning with the back-and-forth emails and the short emails in between each chapter. I thought that was really unique and a really great way to give the story some cool texture in the way that it's not just the usual words written on the pages, and instead of quotes before each chapter, there are emails (if that makes sense).
   What I liked about this book is that it had the POV of both the guy and girl. I know, a lot of books have that, but I just really enjoyed it in this novel. You could see the conflicts between them and what one is doing at the exact same time the other is away.
   The ending though... you just have to read the book to understand... *sigh*
   It's not a good book unless it's tough you something, and this book is definitely an amazing one. It taught me that love isn't easy. And it's not something you can plan or expect. I already knew that before this book, but it made me see that. In Ellie's situation, the last person she expected to fall for was a guy with cameras following him, but it happened and once you fall, you can't go back. And on Graham's side, he realized that love isn't like it is in the movies. It isn't as simple as a kiss and everything is perfect. The two couldn't be more different and at the same time, they couldn't be more the same.
   If you guys haven't picked up this book yet and you're that kind of person who likes those cute books every once in a while, GOOO PICK IT UPPPPPP!!!:D
SPOILERS:
   Please do not continue reading until you have read the book:)
   Okay, I both liked and disliked the ending. I knowwww that it was sweet and cute and sad and bitter-sweet. And it represents (to me at least) that you never know what the future holds, the complications and sadness and happiness that comes along with it. But I was still sitting in school wanting to scream, "WELL WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!?" I mean, is he going to just leave??? It sounded like it but they have to meet again!.. right? I don't even know. But I hope he would at least try to see her again.
   I kind of know there won't be a sequel to this book, but I wish there was.. I wish there wasn't at the same time.
   I mean, it would be amazing to know more about the two star-crossed lovers and what happens after staring out at the sunrise, but at the same time... I don't want to end the peacefulness of the ending, no matter how abrupt it was. There's a pureness to them sitting there that I both want to end or just let them have and I don't know which one I would choose.
   One minute I'm thinking about it and I'm thinking I want a sequel. I have to know whats going to happen. And the next I'm changing my mind! What if I don't want it. I mean they are so happy I don't want to ruin that. Have you ever had that? You want two totally different things? It's like when you're debating if you want to punch someone in the face or hug them...
   Is it normal to be soooo conflicted on this one book? I guess that just proves how much I like it!<3

   Anyway, I hope to pick up Hello, Goodbye, and Everything In Between soon! Sounds so adorable<3 I have to go do some studying on Nannochloropsis oculata now. Next week, I hope to be back for another review!

No comments :

Post a Comment