Friday, August 14, 2015

Bad to the Bone by Wendy Byrne

*The publisher gave me an e-ARC of this book through NetGalley for an honest review*
Rating:
4

Synopsis:
   When her Uncle Jack is arrested on drug charges, Sammie Murphy hops the first plane to Key West. Being rescued isn't on her uncle's to-do list, though. When he admits guilt and instructs her to go home, Sammie knows with 100% certainty something is seriously wrong.
   Veteran DEA agent Enrique Santos knows when a bust is solid. So why is he allowing Jack Murphy's niece to mess with his head? He's been set-up and nearly killed by a woman like her before, and he's not about to make that mistake again. 
   But then things at Murphy's bar take a turn for the dangerous, leaving Sammie entangled in Enrique's dark past. Forced to second-guess his convictions, Enrique has no choice but to kidnap the one woman who could destroy everyone... including his heart.

Review:
   That is so weird. I can't seem to find this book on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Books-A-Million. I can only find it on Goodreads...? Anyway, if you want to check it out on Goodreads, click here.
   Okay, so I finished this book is less than 24 hours, so I'd say that I liked this story. I'm honestly not that big in the romance department, but Bad to the Bone was so much more than that.
   Wendy Byrne did an amazing job to keep the book interesting, with both love and mystery in each page.
   Sammie comes down to Florida, hoping to clear her uncle's name and get him out of jail. But that's until Enrique comes into the picture. Both of them immediately have an attraction to each other, whether they like it or not. But it's hard to like each other, especially when one is trying to free her uncle and the other is an undercover cop.
   Sammie, the female protagonist, is a strong woman. And that's mentally and physically. She knows how to kick some ass, so when something bad goes down at the bar, she knows how to handle herself. She's also the kind of girl who likes the bad boys. And I mean bad, as in their background might not be as clean as it should. So when the definition of 'bad boy' walks into her bar, she knows she shouldn't get involved. What I really didn't like about her is how stubborn she is. I see myself in her stubborn side, not stopping until I get what I want. Whether it's to prove someone innocent or to calm down a bar fight. I like that in female characters. I like when they do whatever it is they need to do to be at the top, to prove to everyone that they aren't going to cower down... #girlpower haha.
   But Enrique is just as stubborn. He needs to find out if she's involved in drugs, too. Enrique's job is to make sure he catches all of the drug traffickers, and he's not going to get distracted. He's more of the man who let's his past get to him. Close-minded so the pain won't come back like it did years before. His kind of stubbornness is different than Sammie's. With her, she needs to prove that her father is innocent. She's doing it to help out family. Enrique, it feels like, is doing it to make sure he's right. He's always right, no matter what it may seem. And yes, his past and job makes him think like that. Guilty until proven innocent. But it's kind of cool to see the difference between the two.
   I really enjoyed the mystery behind all of the drama. Having family be the main focus behind why Sammie stays in Florida. She did have a tough life with her parents, but it just shows that having a person like Uncle Jack just makes their bond stronger. One thing that everyone, or everyone that knows me, knows about me is that I'm huge on family. I mean, obviously there's a limit to that, like a bad adolescent life with family. But what I mean is the people who love you, besides the ones that are 'in love' with you, are the ones I consider family. Like in the Fast and Furious series, you mess me, fine. But you mess with my family, that's a whole new ball park.
   So yeah, haha, I like really loved that about the book.
   There is just one thing I didn't like that made me give this book a 4/5 stars. There were format and  grammatical errors. I don't know if it was just the copy I got, but the formatting was weird. Every time it switched POV's the first letter in the paragraph was separated from the paragraph. I wish it was just my copy, because if that was part of the actual book, than that just makes reading really confusing.
   Another thing was the spelling and punctuation. I noticed a few misspelled words that should have been spotted during the editing part. For example, homonyms. There were a few cases where it needed to be 'their' instead of 'there' or whatnot. I understand to editors that you can't catch all of the mistakes. I totally get that, but it just caught my attention a few times.
   But other than that, the book was a very interesting and enjoyable read! Thank you NetGalley, Engtanged Publishing, and the author, Wendy Byrne, for letting me review this book! It's my first one from Entangled and NetGalley, and I'm so glad to review this one :) 

No comments :

Post a Comment