Friday, August 21, 2015

Sins of Her Father by Kathleen Mix

*The publisher gave me an e-ARC of this book through NetGalley for an honest review*
Rating:
3.5

Synopsis:
   Faith Rochambeau is horrified to learned she was conceived during rape. She's determined to make her biological father, Victor Telemann, pay for his crimes. Using her computer skills to dig into his life, she searches for the powerful man's Achilles' Heel and a way to extract retribution. She'll do whatever it takes to get a conviction, even if it means infiltrating his Fortune 500 company. 
   She fails to plan on falling in love with her father's smooth-talking stepson, Kent Telemann, who suspects she is a corporate spy. Faith is drawn to Kent, even though she's not sure she can trust him. If her heart is wrong, he can put her life in danger. 
   Meanwhile, her father is playing a lethal game he's determined to win. 

Review:
   Two reviews in one day? Surprising for me, I know ;)
   First, can I say how awesome this cover is? I mean the girl isn't a ninja in this book (which would be so cool) but it's so cool! Totally describes this book metaphorically.
   I really enjoyed reading this book. The anger Faith feels towards her father is so real, I totally understood her. Her reasoning for vengeance may have been... intense, but in her situation, I don't think I could sit around and not do anything. I'd probably at least confront him where it's safe so he won't hurt me the same.
   What I really loved about this book is how Faith and Kent both have their own POV in the book. I loved reading his side and what he was thinking, while at the same time knowing what Faith was doing. And I enjoyed knowing that both of them had something to hide. They are both hiding behind a fake identity and it was so cool to watch them fake it to each other.
   Faith is determined to get the truth out of her father. Hating him for what he did to her mother. Even more hating the fact that he's rich now. But though she's determined, she fails to hide her emotions from everyone around her. Which is awesome, because a character like her isn't used to hiding emotions from people. Her not able to hide her emotions was a disadvantage for her, but made the book more interesting, since both Kent and her father are more wary of her.
   Kent. Sorry when I first read this name, I thought of the Kent Barbie doll. It sucked because when reading, all I saw was what he looked like xD Anyway, Kent is undercover trying to see if she's a corporate spy. He also sleeps around. But suddenly, after meeting her... he stops *wink wink*. He promises not to fall for her tricks but he can't help but get sucked into this woman who is so different than any other girl he's been with. Eventually, he stops spying on her and starts being genuinely interested in her. I love Kent. Aside from his name, he's awesome and kind and just downright hot.
   As the story progresses, it gets harder and harder for the both of them to keep their secrets from one another. But it's something that has to be done.
   Towards the end though, they kept missing each other which meant they didn't have time to come clean or apologize. And that annoyed me. I didn't care that they kept missing each other, but it carried out much longer than necessary, dragged on, and I got tired of it.
   And the ending felt too quick, rushed. Everything happened so quickly, when that I didn't really feel any emotion towards their happiness. I feel like if the writing carried out the ending a little more, I'd love it.
   Another thing is that the formatting that I received was very... bad. There weren't any paragraphs, but instead, every sentence was it's own paragraph. Some sentences were cut off and put into the next paragraph and made reading really confusing. I know it's probably because it's an e-ARC (is that a thing? An e-copy of an ARC?), but the format took my attention away from the story. I hope that when the book releases, it'll be all fixed up to the rest of you readers.
   Other than those few things, the book was really amazing. I had a fun time reading it and loving how the story always had something going on. Not everything was about love and sex, but also about getting this sick, evil person to jail. And I really loved that about this book.
   Thank you NetGalley and Kathleen Mix for letting me review this awesome book! I cannot wait for this book to release :) I'll upload my review when it's available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble :) 

1 comment :

  1. Thank you for reading and reviewing Sins of Her Father. You and your site are awesome too!

    ReplyDelete