Monday, August 10, 2015

The Uninvited by Cat Winters

Rating:
4.5

Synopsis:
   Twenty-five-year-old Ivy Rowan rises from her sickbed after being struck by the flu, only to discover that the world has been torn apart in just a few short days.
   But Ivy's lifelong gift- or curse- remains. For she sees he uninvited ones- ghosts of loved ones who appear to her, unasked for and unwelcome, for they always herald impending death. On that October evening in 1918, Ivy sees the spirit of her grandmother, rocking in her mother's chair. An hour later, she learns her younger brother and father have hilled a young German our of retaliation for the death in the Great War of Ivy's older brother Billy.
   Horrified, she leaves home and soon realizes that the flu has caused utter panic and the rules governing society have broken down. Ivy is drawn into this new world of jazz, passion, and freedom, where people live for today, because they could be stricken by nightfall. But as her 'uninvited guests' begin to appear to her more often, she knows her life will be torn apart once again, and Ivy has no inkling of the otherworldly revelations about to unfold. 

Link to buy:
Amazon
Books-A-Million
Barnes & Noble

Review:
   Trying out a new format for my reviews! Instead of just Amazon, I included links for both Barnes & Noble and Books-A-Million. I don't know if BAM is a big book store company, but I have a lot where I live and it's the nearest bookstore near me- B&N is about an hour away- so I go to BAM a lot. They don't release new releases right away unless it's a huge book like Harry Potter or to Kill A Mockingbird, but they do have a lot of deals all the time, so I like it.
   Onto this review, I really enjoyed reading this book. I received this book for free because I won a giveaway on Twitter. The Uninvited is a book that is both historical fiction and paranormal. It has a strong setting and plot of the World War 1, but also has ghosts. This is the first book I've read that has a strong ghost plot, and I'm pleased to say that it was fantastic.
   In the beginning, I have to admit that the only thing that grabbed me was the way Cat described how this huge flu epidemic changed people's lives. I love learning and reading about the World Wars. It's so interesting to read, the darkness each word carries, and to see how we've survived since then.
   I didn't really see as many ghosts as I thought I would, only a couple flashes here and there. The synopsis really gives you the impression that there would be a stronger ghost theme. And towards the end, you really see that this book was a huge ghost story. Totally not what I was expecting. I loved it even more.
   You travel along with Ivy during the story, learning about these girls that run around in an ambulance to help the sick, visit a young German man that isn't at all what people make him out to be: cruel, drunk, and always in need of sex, and you learn more and more about these ghosts and the past life. What they're doing here, why they're stuck in that horrible place.
   What I really thought was nice and original was how Cat Winters involved jazz. In The Uninvited, people used jazz as a way to come together and forget all of their troubles. No matter what race or where you lived, you were welcome to dance and party or play an instrument with the others. It was a really nice way to show that in the hardest times, there is always something good that comes out of it. And that was that there was a place to escape. Where everyone shares their love for life and music.
   Daniel. Daniel is the young German man that Ivy meets and is strangely compelled to. He's mysterious and hides his emotions well... except when Ivy gets near him and she can hear his heart beating hard in his chest. When Ivy and Daniel collide, they fit and work in sync. But as she uncovers more and more about his past, Ivy pushes him away, scared and wishing for the sanctuary of her home.
   Both Daniel and Ivy have secrets that they aren't ready to share. They both aren't ready to make what they have- whatever they have- a serious, intimate thing. Both too scared to move on, to have a happy life. Daniel and Ivy's tragically beautiful love story really changed how I felt about this book, going from not so sure about it to my heart pounding at the very last page.
   The only bad thing I have to say is that I didn't get as many emotions as I thought I would. I don't know, but I didn't have as many feels. I don't know if it was just me, but when I learned the truth about the ghosts, I didn't feel... anything except for the surprise over the huge plot twist. The only thing I really felt was Daniel and Ivy's love, which I think is good enough, since they were together... a lot haha. And the enjoyment of a good story. But the sadness and anger?... not really.
   Overall, I really enjoyed this book. 4.5 stars! I'm so glad I got a chance to read this and experience my first ghost book that was truly awesome. I hope you guys pick this book up and enjoy the twists and turns as much as I did.
   I'm surprisingly more busy than I thought I'd be today, so I had to cut this review short. Sorry! But yes, get this book! It's awesome. 

No comments :

Post a Comment