Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Yellow Winged Stranger by Imran Usman

*The author gave me an e-copy of this book for an honest review*
Rating:
2

Synopsis:
   In a recent murder, a man is indicted. His Modus Operandi or Method of Operation is the signature of an infamous notorious serial killer named 'The Black Smith', known for inflicting grave torture prior to putting his victims to death. The Black Smith's killing spree spanned over a period of 20 years. Due to the varied victimology, it made it utterly impossible for the Law Enforcements, including the Federal Investigating Unit to profile him until very recently; 83 victims had his insignia. during the early years, when he started, he was referred to as 'the copy cat', copying the MO of a serial killer, 'Full Moon Butcher' of the 80's to the very exact detail- who went dormant almost suddenly. The indicted man is shifted to a high security prison, where he unusually comes across a series of writings on the cell wall. These writings contain unusual depictions about an undiscovered life, of a supposed 'Yellow Winged Stranger', the Master of the Ordinary; an ex-prisoner trapped in the compulsion of his own making. And he has a message for the convict. 

Links to buy:
Amazon
Books-A-Million

Review:
   So I went to the doctor's office the other day, just for check up. And they always check your weight, temperature, and height, right? Well I went in expecting to be 5'3" because I could've sworn that's what they said last time. Apparently I'm only 5'2" and that's what I was last time, too. Ugh. That's so disappointing!
   Anyway, onto this review. Obviously since my rating was pretty low, there were a few things that I didn't necessarily like about this book, but I'm going to start off with the good stuff :) Like they say, dessert first.
   One of my favorite things about this book is the uniqueness of it. Imran Usman had a very great and interesting idea of the whole story line. The Yellow Winged Stranger is so different than other story lines these days and I really liked that.
   I also liked the different quotes written throughout the story. They were all very deep and really made me think about the quote and how it related not just to the character's life, but mine as well. The vast amount's of vocabulary also made the book more interesting. It gave it a more educated feel and had more depth than when you have just the basic vocabulary.
   But, though I did really enjoy some parts, there were other's that made me lose interest. I liked reading about the court case and the murder. But when it came to Emily and Jack and all the other different characters, I always asked myself, what's the point of this story? Because it had nothing to do with the court case or murders.  At the end, you finally understand why it was needed, but the story should be consistent and make it intriguing throughout the whole story.
   Some metaphors or examples were so long, it felt like the person talking was getting off track as to what it was they were talking about. I would finish reading what they were saying and then forget what the point of it all was. When one character gave a lengthy speech or whatnot, I had to reread it because it carried out so long that I forgot what they were even talking about. If Imran just shortened the examples and dialogue, the story would flow more smoothly and make sure that I'm still understanding everything.
   In the beginning and towards the end, I got really confused with the different POV's. At first, every chapter was a new POV. In the middle of the book, it stayed to just one POV, but at the end, it seemed to change again. I know those parts of the book with different POV's were in third person, but if it was more organized, the reading would've been a lot easier. Like having the chapter be the character's name or something to let the reader know that you've changed people. Sometimes when writing in third person, Imran would focus on one person, and then totally change it and I would be confused as to who the book was focusing on. If the book was more consistent with the change in POV's or if there was some indication that it's changed, then the whole book would have been a lot less confusing to me.
   The last thing I have to say about this book is the grammatical errors. At first, I thought it was just me and my format I had, but reading other reviews on Goodreads, I know it's not just me. There were a lot of grammatical mistakes. Commas were the main ones I found. The overuse of commas got really confusing when reading. It made sentences so long that it just didn't make sense anymore. When the author was explaining places or people especially, was when it got really confusing. Some sentences were as long as what a paragraph should be. Other times where there should be a comma, there weren't. If the author shortened some of the sentences, the story would run more smoothly. There were a lot more other grammatical errors throughout the book, but those were just to name a few. Reading with so many errors made reading less than enjoyable. I always felt the need to correct it and it would take away from the storyline. I'm sure if Imran had an editor by his side, than the story would be much more enjoyable for the readers.
   Imran Usman had a really unique idea for this book, but there were just so many errors that it was hard to enjoy it. I'm sure if he edits his story more, whether by himself or with an editor, Imran's books would be amazing. I really hope to read more of his books and see his stories progress as the years go on. 

No comments :

Post a Comment