Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Illuminate by Tracy Clark

*The publishing company gave me an e-copy of this book for an honest review*
Rating:
4

Synopsis:
   Can one girl be the light in a world spiraling towards darkness? 
   Haunted by the loss of her loved ones, Cora Sandoval, one of the remaining few of an extraordinary raced known as the Scintilla, holds the key to disentangling the biggest conspiracy in human history... and its link to the fate of the human race. As Cora follows a trail of entries-old clues and secrets, she collides with the truth not only shocking, but dangerous. 
   With enemies known and unknown hot on her trail, Cora must locate each of the ancient clues hidden in the art, religions, and mythology of humankind. And through it all, she must keep her heart from being torn apart by the two boys she loves most. One is Scintilla. One is Arrazi.
   Save herself. Save Scintilla. Save the world. 
   Or die trying...

Links to buy:
Amazon
Books-A-Million
Barnes & Noble

Review:
   Wow... It has seriously been a LONG time since I've written a review! This is so exciting, it's like my first time all over again! Soon I'll have BRAZEN's review up for Christina's blog tour and then Queen of Shadows' book review. Haha so much, this is awesome. So since it's been a while... about a month or two, I apologize in advance if I'm a little rusty ;)
   Okay, so this series honestly got me on the wrong foot. I requested to review this book, unwisely not looking into it, and thought that it was a stand-a-lone or the first book in the series. When I opened it, I realized I knew nothing of what they were saying. I finally looked it up, realizing I have three books I need to read before writing my review!
   It was a struggle, not going to lie. But I'm actually really appreciative that I requested to review this book.
   What I like about all three books overall was the concept of the story. The idea that there are auras, the good and bad, takers and givers of the world, etc., is all so fascinating. It's always intriguing to open a book and read about the author's take on life and death, good and evil. Whether it's realistic fiction or fantasy, it's there somewhere.
   Illuminate is the third- and last- book in the series, and it's the only book out of the three that made me feel some sort of emotion. I felt that Cora's connection to the two men in her life and her drive to find answers wasn't as annoying as the previous books. Before, everything she did felt ill-judged and she didn't think things through before she did anything. In this book, she was the same way, but Tracy Clark had a way of blending that into something good.
   Another aspect I liked about Cora was her strength, both mentally and physically. Throughout the book, hurt and torn, she pushes both Finn and Giovanni away. It was a pleasant surprise that I felt, on account that I felt her connection with Finn felt too obsessive. In most books these days, the girl spends her time kissing or yelling at her love interest right in the middle of a life or death situation. Cora, on the other hand, did a marvelous job at keeping them both at bay. Of course, she always had them on her mind, but she stayed on track, just like she needed to.
    Her connection to Giovanni was more pronounced in Illuminate, making me extremely happy, since I'm totally Team Giovanni. I felt that Cora's love for Finn didn't consume her as much as the previous books. It made me feel a deeper connection between the two, especially with Giovanni's POV.
   Though I now understand Cora and Finn's attraction to each other, I still felt as if their relationship was too excessive too fast. I know now why, but it's a reason why something didn't sit right with Finn for me. Their love was sweet and scorching, but at the same time, annoying every time I'm reading one of their POV's and I have to listen to them talk about their never-ending love. Which is why I longed to read Giovanni's POV. Though his did have a lot of Cora in it, I didn't feel the obsession I felt with Finn.
   As for the story in general, I did love all of the plot-twists it held. It surprised me when I anticipated one thing and it didn't happen. I wish I can divulge the awesomeness, but I CAN'T YOU HAVE TO READ THE BOOK.
   The entire time I was reading the book, I was thinking "Damn, Tracy really knows how to put the pieces together." This book was just filled with puzzle pieces that Ms. Clark would only give one at a time, probably smiling evilly while at it, waiting for us to finally get the whole picture.
   There were a few things I had to read over a few times because I was confused with what was going on, but overall, it was a very enjoyable ride.
   I'm so glad I had the opportunity to read this book, thank you Entangled!!! And I cannot wait to read more from Tracy. If you guys like a book that really get's your brain thinking, this would be the perfect book for you ;)
   Alright, everyone, that's all for tonight! I'll see you Thursday! :D 

2 comments :

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read the series and for the awesome review! Love love love! And yes... I was smiling evilly. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I'm so glad you liked my review! And thank YOU for being so kind! And lol I KNEW IT

      Delete