Sunday, November 29, 2015

Five Seven Five by C.E. Wilson

*The author gave me an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*
Rating:
3.7

Synopsis:
   Take only what can be used. Take only what won't be missed. The Creators are watching all of us. White Frost lives in a world cloaked in darkness and ignorance. While most people in her society are content to live in fearful peace, White's cousin brings her words from the mysterious Unknown. Strange collections of written words that teaser her that there may be more to the world than candlelight and dank hallways. But when tragedy strikes, White can no longer rely on the words to give her solace. She must discover what lies beyond the only world she's ever known... no matter the cost. Eventually, White finds her way to the skies and there she discovers that the tantalizing clues of her words are only pale reflections of the massive and wondrous world above. Colors she never thought possible. Blinding light. And an impossible being who may or may not be the Creator of it all. But this information comes at a price White Frost is not sure she can pay. White's hunger for knowledge proves to be her greatest strength and weakness as she strives to learn more. But as she learns, she has to wonder- is there such a thing as too much information? And what will happen as it brings her closer to a being who could destroy everything she's ever known? Find out in Five Seven Five, the first book in a two part series entitled The Boy With Words.

Review:
   Good evening! It has been a long while since I've posted something! I deeply apologize for that and blame it entirely on school. I take my second SAT this upcoming Saturday and I have to study a lot for that. And just about every class gives me a boat load of homework :P Junior year is definitely something.
   Anyway, I'm really excited to be reviewing again! I have my Mockingjay Part2 review coming up, since I just say it today, so stay tuned for that :)
   I haven't reviewed a lot of books for authors and/or publishers in a while since I've been so busy and haven't requested to review any, but I was so happy to hear from C.E. Wilson about her book! It honestly couldn't have come at a better time since I've been on break for five days. Since it's been a while for me, bear with me on this review!
   Honestly, the book cover doesn't do it justice. I personally don't like it because it doesn't look like the  book holds a serious factor to it. When I opened the book, I was surprised to see that the writing was actually pretty good! Very few spelling and/or grammatical mistakes that I saw, which I was very pleased about.
   The only problem I had was the protagonist, White... which is actually isn't good at all, but nothing too serious. From the beginning, White rubbed me the wrong way. It wasn't until about halfway through the book where I actually started to like her.
   In the beginning of the book, she was very... demanding of everyone. She expected that if she asked a question or told someone to do something, it would be answered or done. Now, I understand that there was a huge tragedy in her life and she needed to be angry and grieve, but I just kept thinking to myself, who does she think she is? She isn't anyone special in her society, to be honest. She was just like the rest of everyone else, not a higher-ranking person. She stomped her foot to get what she wanted, and a pouty girl isn't something I enjoy reading. Yes, everyone has their own way of grieving, but damn girl if you aren't taxing.
   This next explanation is hard to write without giving anything away, but I'll try... Okay, so her cousin would bring her words from the big Unknown. When he gave her stuff, I felt that all she cared about were the words she didn't even understand more than her cousin. I felt she was ungrateful, saying 'thank you' only after he points it out. And after the tragedy that happened, I still felt like all she wanted was information. Maybe that was her way of dealing with everything, but I just found it odd. Later on in the book, I did read how hard it was for White to talk about her grief, so I understand now, but the beginning was rough.
   Once I reached the middle of the book, I slowly started to feel for White. I believe that it just took me a while to warm up to the character. She is definitely unique from other protagonists I've read. I've never read about anyone so bold, and I admire that about her :)
   THE ENDING THOUGH. Okay, I was so glad when I contacted C.E. Wilson and confirmed that there is, indeed, a sequel to this book. Because if that was it, I would've been so mad. BECAUSE THAT JUST COULDN'T BE THE END.

   Haha, seriously though, after I knew there was a second book, I loved the ending... even though it's a MAJOR cliff hanger! I NEED MORE KES. Haha.
   The plot was also very distinct. It was sooooo cool finding out exactly what she is, who the 'Creators' are, and everything in between. White discovers the grass, thunder, the stars, and everything in between. She is so fascinated with everything, and like Kes (another character in the book) implies, it really makes you appreciate life and everything around us. We take for granted everything we have, and this book made me realize just how much I have.
   That's my favorite thing about this book, the message that I saw behind it. It may not be what C.E. meant to put out there, but that's what I got from Five Seven Five, haha so oh well. But anyway, besides Winter's rough first impression on me, everything was to my liking and I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes a good, unique story :) I hope you like it as much as I do!

No comments :

Post a Comment