Sunday, December 20, 2015

Just A Few Inches by Tara St. Pierre

*The author gave me an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*
Rating:
3.5


Synopsis:
   All Carrie Roberts wants is to be a little bit smaller. 
   To fit into the perfect dress for the Valentine's Day Dance. To look beautiful for her boyfriend, the school's star basketball player. To keep his jealous ex-girlfriend, a rival cheerleader, away from him. And to be noticed by her classmates. 
   Exercising and dieting didn't work, but an advertisement for weight loss pills promises a quicker solution to her problem. As time runs out, she takes more than the recommended dose until she's just a few inches slimmer. Heads turn when she arrives at the dance, and the wonderful night with her boyfriend is beyond what she dreamed it would be.
   Days later, Carrie discovers that her body is changing in ways that should be impossible. While her doctor searches for a cure, she desperately turns to her friends and family for support. Everyone is noticing her now whether she likes it or not, and even the media is intrigued by her incredible story. Getting everything she once wanted has created new problems- problems that are growing more terrifying everyday. 
   Because Carrie Roberts is shrinking. 

Review:
   I'm back! Wow, it's been too long! I know I said I'd have my Mockingjay Part 2 up, but school has gotten in the way of my free-time, unfortunately. But I know I'll have it up, I promise! I'll also have another special surprise for you guys soon ;) So stay tuned! 
   A lot has been going on in my life, and I'm excited to get back to writing since my winter break just started! I absolutely love the holidays <3 I just watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens movie with my friend, Ben! It was sooo so good! Honestly, I'm not a Star Wars fan because the last time I watched the series when I was little, I thought those alien creatures were creepy haha, but now that I'm older, I actually enjoyed it! So now my family is starting a Star Wars marathon ;) haha yesss. 
   Okay so Tara St. Pierre, the author of this book, is a self-published author! I don't know about you, but I think that's very admirable. I've talked to Lydhia Marie, another self-published author, and she was telling me the difficulties of getting your book out there and, of course, the cost. So when Tara emailed me saying she was one, I really respected that. What really helps them, though, is buying their bookssss ;)

   Anyway, it's time to start my review! Just A Few Inches is a very unique book. I honestly have no idea how Tara came up with this intriguing idea, but she did, and I'm so happy for it! As said in the synopsis, this novel is about a girl who doesn't lost weight like she wanted, she actually shrinks! Sounds weird, right? But Tara uses believable (but obviously fake... maybe ;) ) science to explain the reasonings behind Carrie's unfortunate... happenings.
   Just A Few Inches isn't just about a teenage girl shrinking. It hits many different problems that teens face these days like wanting to fit into the 'norm', having the desire to be skinnier, and the constant annoyance of family.
   The whole reason why Carrie uses the weight loss pills is because felt insecure about herself and her relationship with her boyfriend. I know the majority of us teens, even me at times, feel insecure about ourselves. It's understandable, but also unneeded. This book really shows how unimportant thinking about fitting in and wanting to be skinnier really is. We should all just appreciate who we are because we are all beautiful. It's really what matters on the inside than what's on the outside that counts.
   Carrie also has a very common family I guess you could say. A very protective mother, an annoying little sister, and an even littler sister that doesn't understand anything that's going on. I personally didn't like any of the sisters for the majority of the book. The older of the two was so snooty and spoiled and the littlest one was just plain annoying to me. Eventually I grew to like the older one and realized that she just needed time to understand where Carrie was coming from. But oh my gosh their little sister... I just wanted to shake her a little... Which isn't good because I know from taking Psychology that they're just egocentric and don't understand anything yet. Still...
   The writing of the book was really good, but when I was reading, there wasn't really a sense of time. It was hard to get of sense of how far apart events were because it didn't say, making the book just seem like one huge event back to back instead of breaks in-between. I mean there were some senses of time now and then, but for the majority of the time, I found myself surprised an event came so fast but then realize it was probably weeks later.
   Other than that, the book was super good and intriguing. I think the best thing I like about the book is the message behind it. Like I said, it really made me appreciate who I am and how amazing my family and friends are for being there for me. I may not be the hottest person or the skinniest, but I'm me and I'm proud of that. So thank you Tara for making this book for other girls and just people in general to see that every one of them are beautiful <3
   I hope you guys pick this book up and help Tara with her self-publishing! This book is very unique and I wish there was another book! Unfortunately, I believe it's just a standalone :(
   Well I hope you guys liked my review! I'll be back tonight with a special surprise post so stay tuned!! 

2 comments :

  1. Caitlin,

    Thanks so much for reading and reviewing! I'm so glad you loved the message of the book!

    --Tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure! Let me know if you need me to do anything else :)

      Delete