Saturday, February 6, 2016

Braineater Jones by Stephen Kozeniewski

*The author gave me an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

Rating:
3.7

Synopsis:
   Braineater Jones wakes up face down in a swimming pool with no memory of his former life, how he died, or why he's now a zombie. With a smart-aleck severed head as a partner, Jones descends into the undead ghetto so solve his own murder. 
   But Jone's investigation is complicated by his crippling addiction to human flesh. Like all walking corpses, he discovers that only a stiff drink can soothe his cravings. Unfortunately, finding liquor during Prohibition is costly and dangerous. From his mason jar, the cantankerous Old Man rules the only speakeasy in the city that caters to the postmortem crowd. 
   As the booze, blood, and clues coagulate, Jones gets closer to discovering the identity of his killer and the secrets behind the city's stranglehold on liquid spirits. Death couldn't stop him, but if the liquor dries up, the entire city will be plunged into an orgy of cannibalism. 
   Cracking this case is a tall order. Brainier Jones won't get out alive, but if he plays his cards right, he might manage to salvage the last scraps of his humanity. 

Links to Buy:
Amazon
Books-A-Million
Barnes & Noble

Review:
   Stephen Kozeniewski is so awesome because I never feel like I need to rush through his books to meet the deadline of a review post... because he never gives me one. He's always like "yeah, whenever you have time. No rush." And I'm always like "hell yeah!" behind the computer as I type a nice "thank you".

   Also, his books are always packed with jokes and laughter and Braineater Jones isn't an exception. Jones' humor, along with everyone else's in the book, is what kept everything light and fun compared to the very... unfortunate happenings they all went through...
    I will tell you, with humor comes the goriness... I don't even know who to feel about it. Reading the book, there were a lot of... explicit detail in how gross everyone and everything looked. I guess it'd be a good thing, though, since that just shows how good of a writer Stephen is. Still, not something one should read if sensitive to these kinds of things. I mean it's a zombie book, so one should be ready for some blood and bones.
   Over lots of pondering, I think in a weird way I liked how different this book was compared to anything else, goriness and all. It's like reading Stephen's other book, Billy and the Cloneasaurus. That book also opened up my eyes to other types of books that I've never even really considered before.
   What's also great is how intriguing the story was. It was amusing to see how terrible Jones was as a P.I. on some cases and how resourceful he was on others. What did confuse me sometimes were to nicknames to certain people. There were so many characters and doubling the names if you add in nicknames is a just a confused Caitlin waiting to come out. Eventually though, I got the names down for sure. So it's all good ;)
   Braineater Jones is a great book for people many people. Zombie-lovers, mystery-lovers, and also people who want to try out something out of their comfort zone. I was definitely in that category and it turned out great for me! It makes me want to consider other books about the undead, though I'm not so sure it'll be as cool as this one ;)

No comments :

Post a Comment