Friday, April 15, 2016

Blog Tour- Paper Hearts: Some Writing Advice by Beth Revis

*I was given an e-copy of volume 1 in exchange for an honest review*

Rating:
4.5

Synopsis:
   Fight the blank page.
   When it comes to writing, there's no wrong way to get words on paper. But it's not always easy to make the ink flow. Paper Hearts: Some Writing Advice won't make writing any simpler, but it may help spark your imagination and get your hands back on the keyboard.
   Practical Advice Meets Real Experience.
   With information that takes you from common mistakes in grammar to detailed charts on story structure, Paper Hearts describes:
- How to Develop Character, Plot, & World
- What Common Advice You Should Ignore
- What Advice Actually Helps
- How to Develop a Novel
- The Basics of Grammar, Style, & Tone
- Four Practical Methods of Charting Story Structure
- How to Get Critiques and Revise Your Novel 
- How to Deal With Failure
... And much more! 

Links to Buy:
Goodreads
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
The Book Depository
Kobo

Review:
   Okay, can I tell you all how surprised I am about this book?! I love Beth's Across the Universe trilogy, so I took a chance on her new non-fiction book, a genre that I don't read often voluntarily. I always wanted to know more about writing and some amazing tips since I do write on the side when I have the time to, so why not?
   I was amazing and pleasantly surprised that I always wanted to get back to it. Beth brings up so many amazing points about writing. It actually made me reflect on my books while I was reading and seeing what I was doing well on and what I felt I needed to improve on. It's so interesting and refreshing to read about an author's writing experience and knowing that they are or were in the same spot as we are. When Beth talks about her experiences, it was nice that I could actually connect with her. It wasn't something that was said and I'm like "Oh that's cool", it was more like "Yes, I had that exact same problem". It's nice to know that even the top dogs when through what we do too.
   I think it was also helpful that Beth wrote in a very informal way so the voice wasn't so monotone and boring. She added her character behind her writing and made it sound like we were both sitting down in a cafe and she was just telling me advice as if we were friends (that doesn't sound obsessive at all...right?)
   Everything was so intriguing to read. From the way she wrote to all the amazing advice she gave. I'm actually in a writer's block right now... well I don't really know if it is, but I'm having trouble where I am in my writing. Beth's book really inspired me with different ideas that I can incorporate into my writing and actually made me excited again to find time and get back into my story again.
   It's great that this book had a great effect on me and I have a book now that I can go back to whenever I need help or advice on something in my writing. I've never read an advice kind of book before, but I'm really glad that this was my first :)
   This book is great for writers that need a little push in the right direction. Like Beth said, everyone has a different way on how they write, but this book is more than just tips on writing. It's about critiques, character and plot development, and so much more.

Extras:
   Beth was so nice enough to answer a few questions I had after I read the book :)

1.     
      1. With school, many writers struggle to find the time to just sit and
write, or even think about their stories. How did you manage it in college?
   - I was too poor to afford television. It sounds trite, but it's the honest
answer.


2. What are some misconceptions about authors?
   - That we write perfect first drafts. People see the final book, and it's
been edited, revised, polished, and screened by others. They don't see the
horrible scribblings we made, the endless notes, the piles of cut pages
and hare-brained scenes. Books require work, and no writer makes a perfect
first draft.


3. How much research do you put into your books?
   - Depends on the book! I don't really research prior to writing; I research
when I get stuck and have a question. But I also surround myself with fun
"research"--I actually like learning about space, so I had a lot of
"research" done for Across the Universe before I started. And I have a
personal connection to A World Without You, so most of my research for
that book was just remembering the way I grew up.

4. How do you get back into writing after writer’s block?

   - Whenever I feel writer's block, I also either do something drastic--kill a
character, blow something up--or I start deleting. Writer's block, for me,
means that I've either strayed into some random part of the story that's
going nowhere (hence, deleting), or I'm being too easy on my characters
(hence, murder).


5. What's your favorite part of writing?
   - Whichever part I'm not currently working on!

   And she also has Tip #5 to give you all with a giveaway!
Experience everything.
The best way to write a story is to live it. Whenever you can, leave your desk and experience everything you can. This can be as life-altering as traveling the world-travel is the best antidote to writer's block. But it can also be as simple as going to your local coffee shop and striking up a conversation with someone you've never met before. It can be going to an art museum you've never been before. It can be reconnecting with an old friend and asking how life's been treating her. Do something you don't do everyday, and you'll find something to write about. A life lived well is the most vital part of being a writer. It changes your perspective, it gives you new ideas, and it makes stories blossom.

Follow the rest of the blog tour at the Paper Hearts Tour Headquarters or follow Beth Revis on Twitter! :) 

  a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments :

Post a Comment