Thursday, June 16, 2016

Stake-Out by Lily Luchesi

*The author gave me an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*
Rating:
4.5

Synopsis:
   In a city overrun with the undead, an ex-cop is given a chance to get revenge...
   Danny Mancini is given a case, following a murder suspect. When he catches him, he finds out that the perp isn't even human: he's a 200 year old rogue vampire! 
   The department doesn't believe him, and puts him on early retirement, despite his many years of service to the Chicago Police Department, which sends him into a downward spiral. 
   Two years later, Danny gets an invitation from the beautiful, young and very attractive Detective Angelica Cross to join a secret branch of the FBI to help her track down Vincent, the wayward vamp. 
But renegade werewolves, meddling immortal witches and Danny's strange visions of a life lived a century ago with Angelica makes things more difficult than it should be. 

Links to Buy:
Books-A-Million
Barnes & Noble
Amazon

Review:
   Wow... It's been since April since my last post! School definitely kept me busy :P But I'm proud that I put everything into school because my grades look amazingggg and it definitely paid off. Now, it's summer and I am finally free to read and review the list of books that have been requested...
   Starting with this one! This review has been a long time coming and I give a shout out to the author, Lily, for being so patient with me. I was so terrible in guessing how long it'd take me to write this review and I'm so embarrassed. But thank you for not yelling at me! Haha.
   Okay, Stake-Out is the first book that I've read that held vampires as one of the main types of characters. I actually don't know why I'm not into vampires. I guess I don't like reading about how the blood oozes out of someone's throat. But at the same time... I'm not one to get grossed out easily... Who knows. Anyway, Lily did an amazing job incorporating vampires and hunters (as well as other supernatural animals) without making the story too gory. I thoroughly enjoyed having the vampires in this book :)
   I also enjoyed the writing. Lily wrote in third person for the characters and I loved how it frequently changed POV's between Danny and Angelica. It was perfect knowing what each of them were thinking. Especially when 'the secret' gets out and everything hits the fan ;) I loved how there were very minimal grammar mistakes. It made reading much more smooth and enjoyable. It takes a lot to edit or hire an editor, but it's unbelievably worth it in the end for the reader.
   The only thing that got me was the overuse of the word 'perp'. I'm sure there are other variations of the term using different words that the author could have used, and I wish she did. I guess that's why I wasn't really into the book until after around the first half of the book. It gets tiring seeing the same word over and over again. Thankfully, Lily stopped using it so much after a little bit and it became a much more enjoyable read.
   Other than that, the book was amazing! I have already started reading book 2, Miranda's Rights hahaha. The epilogue of this book was so good; it really captivated me, wanting to know more about the two main characters' history and also hoping that their future brings them together again. Agh it's so hard writing this without giving everything away!!!
   All I can say is you must read this book. If you aren't a fan of vampires, this is a great book that slowly transitions you into loving it.
   It felt so good writing a review again and I can't wait to read a book and do another one! Don't worry, you guys won't have to wait as long as last time ;) I'm also reviewing book two of this series! So stay tuned for that ;)
   Hope you guys enjoyed! Must get back to reading ;)

No comments :

Post a Comment